Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: How do you get the self locking spindle nut off th

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Peyomp's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 11th, 2000
    Posts
    190
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    How the FUCK do you get that little self locking indentation on a spindle nut, the one thats on the end of the driveshaft, outside the brake rotors off?. It won't come off... I can't get anything strong enough to pry in between it and the nut inside it.

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Sonnyballs's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 12th, 2001
    Posts
    460
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Peyomp:
    How the FUCK do you get that little self locking indentation on a spindle nut, the one thats on the end of the driveshaft, outside the brake rotors off?. It won't come off... I can't get anything strong enough to pry in between it and the nut inside it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

    You can pound the indent out with a punch. I've also seen shops take it right off (without pounding) using an impact wrench.

    Sonny

    ------------------
    Sonny Van Hook ([email protected])
    2000 Civic Si
    1999 Tonykart/Honda 80cc Shifter

  3. #3
    Inactive Member VaporTrail's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 26th, 2000
    Posts
    215
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    All I've ever used is a good impact gun, and a strong socket. It should come right off if your compressor is anything above a craftsman tongue

    ------------------
    -JG-
    -1994 Civic EX-
    -B18c, blown rings, and turbo in the near future-
    -www.vapor-trail.net-

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Peyomp's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 11th, 2000
    Posts
    190
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    What kind of punch do I need? Like a center punch? I am dumb, and I am not familiar with the "punch" tool really. I guess the hardware store will have one.

    I am doing this on jackstands in my garage (clutch replacement), and I am about to remove the driveshafts. This shit is harder than I thought due to the driveshafts. Its still doable though. It'll probably take me 12-14 hours total, but the garage is shitty, I have no air tools, just some okay craftsman stuff and I have no help... I have to get out from under the car frequently to get shit I need and that eats up time... its pissing me off.

    Thanks alot for the info.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member gsrev's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 23rd, 1999
    Posts
    622
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Okay I think you have suffered enough biggrin ! What you need to do since you do not have impact tools is put you wheels back on. Remove the center cap. The socket should fit thru the center of your wheel. With the car on the floor & e-brake on, get a breaker bar and break the nut loose. No need to mess w/ the indentation as that will loosen itself once you loosen the nut. Don't waste your time trying to lift the indentation... the nut will still not budge unless you have the proper equipment when the wheels are off the ground. Again.. just loosen the nuts and then lift the car up to finish removing them. Hope that helps.
    alex

    ------------------
    Objective.. descent dragster and autocrosser
    that is BARELY street legal

    1992 Red Honda Civic CX Hatch Back... COMING VERY SOON:
    B18C1 hybrid
    JRSC 13psi, OBD1 GSR ECU
    JR BTC,MSD ignition, Venom 320cc injectors, cartec FMU, JE 9:1 pistons, Total Seal piston rings, Eagle rods (endyn), ARP Head studs, ARP rod bolts, Modified 3" CAI, DC Sports 4-2-1 header, 3"custom exhaust, B&M fuel guage, Autometer electric fuel pressure, air/fuel, & boost guage, Quaife LSD
    ET drags 22x8x15 for the strip and 205/45/15 nitto 555r for the street. Ground Control coil overs, KYB AGX adjustable shocks, Ingall's camber kit, ITR rear sway bar, Neuspeed front strut brace, GSR rear disc brakes, Weight reduction (weighing in at 1865 w/o driver)

    1998 Super Sonic Blue Integra GS-R (completely stock now)
    With jrsc at 6psi best 1320: 13.783 @101.43 on drag radials

  6. #6
    Inactive Member Peyomp's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 11th, 2000
    Posts
    190
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    That would help, but I have alloy wheels and there is no middle, just 4 lugs around cast aluminum. frown I'm going to get a punch and try that shit. Thanks though.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member dbman96's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 16th, 1999
    Posts
    324
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Regardless, without a BIG impact wrench you are NOT going to get that nut off with your wheels off the ground. It will just spin the differential. That nut is torqued to like 135 lb.ft. if I remember correctly; it will take your entire body weight on a breaker bar to get it off; even having someone stand on the brakes won't be good enough.

  8. #8
    Inactive Member phicycle's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 12th, 2001
    Posts
    87
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I just dropped the inner suspension pivots and left the axles assembled to the hubs, so I never had to fool with those nuts.
    You can just bag the inner axles after you pop them out so they don't get dirty.

  9. #9
    Inactive Member alfack's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 23rd, 2000
    Posts
    33
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Why don't you just leave the driveshafts in? That's what I did. They don't get in your way too much.

  10. #10
    Inactive Member cetane's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 16th, 2001
    Posts
    176
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Peyomp:
    That would help, but I have alloy wheels and there is no middle, just 4 lugs around cast aluminum. frown I'm going to get a punch and try that shit. Thanks though.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

    Ya got a spare don't ya rolleyes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •